Thursday, April 03, 2008

April 3 :: The Torn-Up Road by Richard Siken

One of my favorite new poets, here is part 2 of the larger poem "The Torn-Up Road". Forgive me for not being true to the spacing.

I want to tell you this story without having to confess anything,
without having to say that I ran out into the street to prove something,
that he didn't love me,
that I wanted to be thrown over, possessed.
I want to tell you this story without having to be in it:
Max in the wrong clothes. Max at the party, drunk again.
Max in the kitchen, in the refrigerator light, his hands around the neck of a beer.
Tell me we're dead and I'll love you even more.
I'm surprised that I say it with feeling.
There's a thing in my stomach about this. A simple thing. The last rung.

More about Richard Siken.

No comments: