Wednesday, May 25, 2005

maid whore spitfire

The three roles often relegated to female actors of color: maid, whore, spitfire. I would suggest those are the limitations offered to women in every day life too.

I am praised for my mouth unless I call someone on their behavior. My openness is honored unless I share it with more than one. I have a woman come to the house and find myself cooking and serving while the tv seems the true flirt in my house.

I am working, over these next few weeks, on removing those labels from my own psyche. I am a mothering person, femme and observant, but that does not mean I will be anyone's mother except for the one who came from within my body. And I will say to everyone, nurturing does not mean mothering, and I will really embody that idea. I will not be defined.

No comments: