Friday, May 25, 2007

parenting/mothering - can you feel the madness already?

I have been debating writing articles again - I did so years ago in alternative monthlies, etc. and got into trouble for my big mouth. Still, I loved the rush of having to cement your thoughts, back them up - who likes a blowhard at the bus stop who is telling you that the economy is not in recession? Give me facts, brother!

So, in looking at all of my areas of expertise, I realized that one, I don't know anything and 2, I have an inappropriate crush on (adult) Hillary Duff and I get to see lots of her while my child is, like a drug fiend, turning on the tv constantly to catch "just a few minutes!" of the Disney Channel.

Yes, I've had a hard time focusing lately - but this did remind me that I am a pretty interesting parent. I think there are a lot of artsy-new world parents out there whose kids are exceptional, charming and already activists, artists, orators. So, why not write about parenting, mothering specifically I suppose since I am a mother - though I do like being labeled a parent instead. "Mother" seems to imply ownership or rights to another individual - hardly fair to tie someone down, no?

And I'm not saying here that I'm a great parent - just an interesting one. Those who've taken on parenting (no, not just those who've made kids) all know we have our moments where you really want to go to the bathroom not to pee but to get away for a few minutes!

Coincidently, I came across NY Times columnist Judith Warner's blog. Pretty cool and she is level headed. I like that she proposes her own questions and assumptions and expands and answers these. Check it out for yourself.

Also good, scope out this she recently said:

I think we can learn that families need, in a very concrete way, to be supported – not through nice phrases about “family values” or “valuing motherhood,” but through measures that make life more affordable and less scary. We mothers need to feel that we are not essentially on our own in dealing with and caring for our children. We need institutions we can trust – from pediatric care practices on up through good day care and public schools. We need political leadership to develop incentives to make companies more responsive to families’ scheduling needs. We need, as a nation, to put our money where our mouth is on family values.

Boy, am I living this realization.

No comments: