Wednesday, May 04, 2005

voices

I just found out I was accepted into the Voices summer writing workshops for people of color! I was accepted into both writing weeks so I must now decide which writer I want to work with. Money is super tight so I also need to find some cash so that I can attend. This is an incredible opportunity and the staff told me they got lots of applicants so I'm even happier I'll be attending. And it's all happening in San Fran so I'll get the opportunity to see one of my favorite cities again.

This also means a lot for my writing. Because each writing program is limited to ten participants, I am excited that my work has reached a certain promise.

3 comments:

Dulce said...

congrats! what an incredible opportunity to work with the likes of Suheir Hammad and Jimmy Santiago Baca. send me a post card! :)

Tammy Gomez said...

Wow, that sounds like alot of fun. I always love being in the Bay Area. Last August, I had too much fun driving around on a Sunday afternoon exploring the city by myself.

I've shared a stage with Chitra (Houston) and Ruth (Chicago) for very memorable performances. Yep, I highly recommend working with Ruth, Junot, and Chitra. Suheir is amazing, but younger--not sure what her "seminar teaching style" would be like. My 2 centavos...

la mala said...

Thanks Tammy. I've decided on Ruth's class. I can connect with her voice and see my working following a similar vein.